RE: Wikipedia:: “Established in 1903, the Wiener Werkstätte (English: Vienna’s Workshops) was a production community of visual artists in Vienna, Austria bringing together architects, artists and designers.
“The enterprise evolved from the Vienna Secession, founded in 1897 as a progressive alliance of artists and designers. From the start, the Secession had placed special emphasis on the applied arts, and its 1900 exhibition surveying the work of contemporary European design workshops prompted the young architect Josef Hoffmann and his artist friend Koloman Moser to consider establishing a similar enterprise.
“Finally in 1903, with backing from the industrialist Fritz Wärndorfer, the Wiener Werkstätte began operations in three small rooms; it soon expanded to fill a three-story building with separate, specially designed facilities for metalwork, leatherwork, bookbinding, woodworking and a paint shop. The range of product lines also included; leather goods, enamel, jewellery, postcards and ceramics. The Wiener Werkstätte even had a millinery department.” More info on Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiener_Werkst%C3%A4tte